Introduction to Process:
A questionnaire was prepared in Hindi language regarding the accessories the drivers would expect in the upcoming trucks.
• The questions were aimed at understanding the functional and comfort related needs of the drivers.
• Of all the drivers interviewed, the explicit need that was commonly expressed was, provision of a organized spaces in the cabin to give a more roomy and homely feeling to the drivers.
They came from their hometowns in Kanpur, Haryana, Uttaranchal, Bihar, Latur, Pune and Ahmedabad.
User Travel Data:
Observations Indian scenario:
Water Primary Storage: Plastic Pots or Cans 20 ltrs. Capacity
Location: In front / behind the Co driver seat
Storage of Dental, Shaving and Hair care kit: In plastic transferable containers
Location: Co driver side A pillar
Fitment of a Blower:
Location: Near windshield glass between driver and co driver
Tape recorder and Cassette Storage space:
Location: Above instrument cluster on dash, cassettes in trays
Storing of Ration supplies and Utensils:
Location: Beneath the berth / In tool box beneath chasis
Storage of tiffin and receipts/ Medicine and Cleaning materials:
Location: On dashboard towards Co driver side/ Beneath Co driver seat
Provision for drying clothes:
Location: Nailing onto rear wall or roof pane
Safe for keeping valuables:
Location: Boxes on rear wall, side wall near the roof, above W/S glass
Space for keeping mattresses and blankets:
Location: Behind driver seat on the berth or on top shelf
Storage of torch, handy tools and screwdriver:
Location: On dash or side walls
Space for Gods:
Location: Between the two windshield glasses
Cabin decoration and graphics:
Some commonly received answers:
• Provision of fans.
• Dust free area for keeping food supplies.
• A confined cooled space to store water, food.
• A mobile charger.
• Roof lining to be provided, to minimize in cab reflections (Permanent feature provided).
• Sufficient compartments to keep their belongings like water, toiletries, blankets, frames.
• They consider the truck to be their home and thereby try to bring sufficient homeliness to the cabin.
We need to design space to carry-Water:
• Daily requirement about 20 lts for 3 people.
• Provision for cooling water Toothpaste, brush, combs, mirror, bucket, mugs and soap.
• Side sun viser.
• Blower for ventilation running on separate power source.
• Mobile charger.
• Tape recorder and Cassettes storage.
• Medicines, first aid kit.
• Wider berths.
• Handy tools and torch.
• Enclosed space like dev ghar for photo frames Receipts, coins carrier, with notepad and pen holder.
• Clothesline and bars/ hooks for hanging clothes to store mattresses and blankets.
• Storing tiffin, Ration supplies in dust free area.
• Waste bag or dustbin.
• Umbrella holde.
• Mosquito coil carrier.
• Truck cleaning materials.
Observations Western Scenarios:
• Footstep for upper berth.
• Penholder, paper holder, coin holder provided on dashboard.
• Branding used under berth.
• Washer bottle access in front fender.
• Special tool kit box.
• Big opening for dirty box with neat interiors.
• Cup holder on dashboard.
• Foot Step lamp.
• Side sun visor with single mounting.
• Upper berth anti roll bar.
• Upper berth integrated pillow.
• Foot rest for clutch pedal.
User Height/Age data:
User kms/days data:
• On an average a vehicle runs 175 kms/ day.
• The driver & his crew stay away from their homes for approx 30 days.
• Fuel used in trucks is Diesel.
• Trucks on a average carry a load of 25 tonnes.