Experience design is a multidisciplinary subject/course which emphasizes and provides guidelines to design products, processes, services, events, and contexts with optimum focus on offering psycho-cultural-cognitive experiences/satisfaction to the users. Experience design is the practice of generating design solutions, interventions which enhances the quality of life of the user. Experience design is becoming more of a philosophy in the 21st century which suggests: ‘designing products and services which are functionally appropriate and culturally relevant’.
The field of experience design emphasizes on a set of methodological criteria to practice design. Experience design is all about designing experiences which are intangible but takes into account not only the material but also social, psychological, cultural and imaginative dimensions. The focus is on how people experience things, objects, spaces, place, situations, and products in different contexts of their life.
Experience Design (ED) takes into account intentional, emotional, behavioral, phenomenal experiences of people. Aesthetic and emotional aspect of design gives a self-fulfilling experience to the user.
Aspects are Outlined Below:
• User research
• Design problem solving
• Insight development
• Persona development
• Need established for the design
• Development of design guidelines
• Development of design concepts and its detailing
• Use case scenario development for the new design
• Design detailing
• Prototyping, model building, and design of physical environment
• User testing and validation
Experience design highlights the point that products and services should be designed in such a way that they should offer motivational satisfaction and emotional delight to the user/ consumer.
The course duration is 2-4 weeks.
Brief for the Course Assignments/Exercises:
• There are assignments for students to complete the same during the course duration of 2-3 weeks.
• Students are supposed to work in groups of 3-5 members in each group.
Assignment - 1
Assignment - 2