For the wood and the cardboard dholak’s following are the tools and raw materials used. Wood preferred for the making of the dholaks are either Mango, Jackfruit, Teak wood. Cardboard rolls usually left as a waste is collected and made to the required shape and sizes. Cardboard rolls are mainly used as the children instrument as these have only certain period as their durability.
• Knife (Chaku) - Knife used in cutting.
• Rapi - Rapi is used for removing wax and cutting the designs to required form.
• Stone - It is used for polishing and to sharp the Rapi.
• Hammer (Hathodi) – Hammer to make rings.
• Needle(Suha) - Needle to stitch and insert.
• Scissors - These are used to cut the ropes as per required size and form.
• Brush - to apply the polish.
• Plate - It is used to mix the mixture.
• Wood Polish (Shellac) - It is coated on the wood for shine and fine finishing.
• Bamboo Sticks - These are used to tie the leather sheets
• Sahi-kare - A mixture of lambi, grease, used engine oil and chalk powder
• Wood Dholak - Wood of Mango, Teak or Jackfruit is preferred.
• Rings - Iron rings for the cardboard dholaks and steel rings for wooden dholaks.
• Adhesive - To fasten the two rolls together.