Lambani’s embroidery consist of variety of stitches, the running stitches appears to be small dashes which create variety of patterns on cloth. Neat horizontal pattern are created by intertwining contrasting colour threads in a parallel line and alike thread stitched in criss- cross pattern. Some of the other commonly used stitch is chain pattern, which are dense and tightly worked upon, which covers the total surface area of the ground fabric. Some of the stitches mimic the shape of grains, which are formed using small loops, satin stitch, and herringbone stitch.
Design / patterns used in embroidery:
• The traditional way of using bright colours and random design to display the distinctiveness of lambani tribe.
• Signature pattern of lambani design covers the whole surface of base cloth.
• Generally, the lambani design consist of geometrical patterns such are squares, rectangle and circles, which are heavily embellished with mirror, coins, beads and shells.
• Different patterns are created with the help of patchwork or applique technique. In this technique small piece of cloth is stitched on the base cloth. Generally each piece cloth has different pattern and texture.
• Quilting technique is also a major part of lambani embroidery.
• The patterns seen on the lambani’s embroidery reflect their life and surrounding.
Flow Chart of Making Process