There are two types of Bamboo in the world with around 1500 species.
Two categories are
Patterns of clumps can also vary in case of sympodial bamboo where bamboo culms with in a clump can be closely spaced (Bambusa Bamboo) or loosely spread out (Bambusa Valgaris).
Colder climate countries (China & Japan) host Monopodial bamboo also known as Runner bamboo as it sends long underground Rhizomes, individual shoots comes out of these underground Rhizomes. There are two types of Rhizomes i.e., Pachymorph and Leptomorph.
Sympodial Bamboo grows faster, produce higher yield and can become fully rejuvenated within few years of harvesting. Sympodial bamboo grows in clumps, out layers of the clumps contain yamper bamboo, and inner layers contain mature bamboo.
Monopodial bamboos can be easily segregated by maturity period, Harvesting is much simpler, vice versa in case of Sympodial bamboo.In India Sympodial bamboo constitutes of 67% of the total graving stock, and monopodial bamboo constitutes the remaining 33%
|Sympodial Bamboo Species in India||%Growing stock in Forest Land|
|Dendro Calamus Strictus
Dendro calamus Hamil Tonii
All other Species
Meleona Barcifera, is a non-clump forming Sympodial bamboo, with long spread out neck leading to spread out culms. Accounting for 20% of bamboo growing stock in the country.
In Uttarakhand, bamboo mats and baskets are a significant part of the craft tradition of every agrarian culture. Ringal (a dwarf bamboo) and natural fiber, medicinal & aromatic plants are among the potential resources available in different villages and adjoining forests in state of Uttarakhand. The practice of this craft is more as a tradition as well as a mean of earning livelihood.
List of Tools and Raw Materials: