The tools and raw materials that are used for gemstone carving are:
• Tooth Chisel: The tooth chisel is principally used in the geometric reduction of a larger piece of stone.
• Flat Chisel: It has a straight edge with a slight bevel. It is the finishing tool used before the final abrasive finishing, rasping, and sanding.
• Point Chisel: It is used for the second stage of removal, is a flat straight chisel with slightly bevelled teeth. It removes the primary bulk material and comes in three sizes, small, medium and large.
• Speciality Chisels: These are used by intermediate and advanced carvers for added assistance in multiple projects.
• Hammers: These come in three weights and are made of soft iron, so the percussion is easier on the stone, tool, and user.