Jump to navigation
The tools and raw materials that are used for making Tabla are as follows:
• Hollow Wood: It is one of the main raw materials which forms the major body of the Tabla.
• Animal Hide: It is used to cover the opening area of the hollow wooden body.
• Scissors: It is used to cut the hide to the intended size and shape.
• Knife/blade: It is used to scrape and cut the animal hide as per requirement.
• Hammer: It is used to deliver blows or for tapping on any objects during the making.
• Hide Strips: It is used to tie the wooden body and animal hide together.
• Needle: It is used to sew the strips through the animal hide holes.
• Pliers: It is used to hold and pull the strips while tying them around the Tabla.
• Chisel: It is also used to scrap the extra wood out of the block and cut the animal hide perfectly.
• File: It is used to smoothen the rough surfaces of wood.
• Twine: It is temporarily tied around the wooden body during the making of tabla.
• Charcoal Powder: It is applied at the center portion of the animal hide as a tuning paste, which covers the head area of the Tabla. It is this powder that produces the unique sound of the instrument.
• Rice Paste: It is mixed with charcoal powder to make a dough.
• Wooden Rollers: It is used to tighten the strips around the Tabla to get better sound quality.
• Natural Resin: It is used as glue to hold the Syahi, i.e., the tuning paste applied on the head.
• Neem Wood: It is used to make the body of the Tabla.
• Pen / Pencil: It is used for markings.