Palm leaf basketry making is craft practiced from many generations and has been a culture and tradition in their community. The tools and raw materials used for making the products are easily available in the local market. Palm trees are abundantly available in Karaikudi and as well as nearby villages. Artisan uses long knives to harvest the leaves and small sized knives to separate the mid rib from the leaves. The strips are dyed with vibrant colors to give more attraction to the products. Leaf strips are dyed using chemical colors, which are available in the local market. Other materials used are:
• Sathagam (Knife): This knife is used to cut the midrib of the palm leaf.
• Needle (Posi) and Thread: Needle and thread are used to stitch the outer rim of the basket for strength purpose.
• Ole Machine: Ole is a cutting machine used to cut the leaves into equal strips.
• Colors: Colors are used to dye the leaves.
• Colorful Beads: Beads are used to decorate the baskets.
• Alam: Alam is added in the color for dying process, helps to strengthen the color richness.