• Born in 1938.
• Prof Sudhakar Nadkarni studied Graphic Design at the Sir J J School of Applied Arts (1954-1959) and
Industrial Design at the School of Design (Hochschule für Gestaltung), Ulm, Germany (1962-1966).
• From 1958 to 1962, he worked as an Art Director in Asian Art Advertising, Mumbai.
• He was a faculty at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, from 1966-1969.
• In 1969, he was instrumental in starting the Industrial Design Center's design program, IIT Bombay. He
was at this academic institution for almost three decades, including 18 years as the Head of the Center.
• In 1997, he initiated and started the Department of Design at IIT Guwahati.
• He has been a member of several esteemed committees such as the Member of Industrial Design
Committee, Government of India; Member of International Council of Societies of Industrial Design
Working Group; Member of Working Group for Developing Countries / Design Information Group.
• Prof Nadkarni has also been the Chairman of ICSID Education Committee, Asia Sub Group, and the
Project leader for UNDP Programme and convener, National Seminar of Design Education under the
Co-sponsorship of the UNESCO and UNDP.
• He is currently the Dean of Business Design at the Welingkar Institute of Management Development and