Jump to navigation
The materials used to weave the woolen carpet is brought from Dehradun and Amritsar and sold in the local market. Artisans purchase the available materials and do the weaving at home. The traditional weaving loom is made of rose wood, but today artisans prefer metal looms. Other tools are locally manufactured and sold. The tools and materials used are:
• Wool: The basic material for carpet weaving is the wool.
• Cotton Thread: It is used as a foundation for the carpet.
• Vertical Loom: It is used to weave the carpet.
• Wooden Mallet: It is used to hammer the knots after every row is finished.
• Punja: A fork like tool used to beat on the knots after every row is finished.
• Knife: It is used to cut the woolen thread while weaving.
• Long Pointed Scissors: It is used in trimming process.
• Metal Rod: It is used to loop the woolen thread on it and later cut with scissor.
• Fork Tool: This tool used to beat on the knots to settle them evenly on the preciously weaved layer.