1. The ripe worms usually crawl down the base of the tree during dusk.
2. A matured worm can be distinguished by a rustling sound when put near one’s ear and rubbed with a finger.
3. The worms are collected in a bamboo basket.
4. 40 worms are mounted per square foot.
5. Harvest cocoons only after complete pupation. Pupation completes after 6 to 8 days in summer and 8 to 10 days in winter. After harvesting, sort out the good and flimsy cocoons.
6. In the case of seed crops, sex separation of the collected matured worms must be done to mount the male and female worms in separate places.