Products made out of coir fibre are mainly decorative products. The toys made of coir are very popular as Educational products, used for teaching children in nursery and kindergarten schools. Some utility products have come into existence during recent times.
The product range consists of:
• Wall hangings
• Pen stands
• Magazine racks
• Decrotive items
• Earlier raw coir fibre was separated with the hands and the price of raw material was high but now they have machine made coir which is cheap and easily available.
• Keeping in mind the eco-friendly norms, chemical colours are not used or dyed coir is not used. Instead coloured thread or wool is used.
• Due to the growing competition from industries, a shift from coir mats to utility and decorative products is made.
• Now the business is expanding from local markets to international markets because of attractive designs and reasonable prices.
• Earlier this craft was only used for domestic purposes such as doormats for self use, ropes etc. But now this area has been explored and addition to the existing products is made rapidly.