Simple hand operated Tools are used for making coir toys.
• Scissors: Two different types of scissors are used for different purposes. The bigger scissors is used for cutting the coir fibres and the smaller scissors is used to cut threads and other such materials.
• Pliers: It is used to pull out the needles while stitching.
• Needle: It is used for stitching. The size of the needle depends on the kind of work which is required to do.
• Cello tape (Adhesive tape): Workers tie the cello tape around their fingers so as to not cut their fingers while tying the coir or threading it.
The Raw Materials required to make a coir product are very basic and readily available.
• Coir: Coir is traditionally processed from coconut husks cured in saline or freshwater for eight to ten months by process called “Retting” for increasing the flexibility, strength and durability of fiber.
• Fevicol: Fevicol is diluted with water and then used for pasting the fiber on the main body. After the completion of the product it is to be dipped in diluted fevicol for durability and stiffness.
• Wool: Coloured wool is used for surface ornamentation of coir products.
• Card Board: This is used provide proper shape and stiffness. The card board is cut into required shapes then fiber is stuck on it.
• Cotton threads: Used to wrap the coir made products for them to achieve a definite and a stable form.