Introduction to Day 12
Today, under Warm up, we quickly revise all that we did in the Workouts in Sessions 1-3, and upto Day 11.
For Workout test, we do a body movement and line quality self-assessment through composition sheets, using all forms of curvatures.
In today's Sense of Perspective Space: Test, we test how you draw a cross-plan composite object. You do a self-assessment of the same, using comparison sheets provided after the exercise.
• Download and Print:
2. D4_45-deg-10cm-Cube (optional, if preserved from Day 4)
3. D4_30-60-deg-10cm-Cube (optional, if preserved from Day 4)
• Cartridge sheets (for Warm up and Workout Test)
• Tracing sheets (for Sense of Perspective Space: Test)
• Soft pencils - 2B, 4B, 6B, etc.
Overall Time Plan: 1 hour 15 minutes
• Warm up : 15 mins.
• Workout test : 30 mins.
• Sense of Perspective Space: Test :30 mins.
15 minute Exercise:
0-5 mins : Practice very fast hand and body movements while drawing Lines (Horizontal, Vertical and Inclined - at 45, 30 and 60 degrees), followed by all kinds of Curvatures (Circles, Ellipses, Segments, etc.) you have covered in this session.
5-15 mins : Now, repeat the various workouts covered in Session-1-3, i.e. upto previous day WITHOUT the underlay grids, using the hand NOT normally used.
While drawing these, remember to:
1. Draw them for various lengths, and diameters.
2. Draw lines in either direction i.e. left to right, right to left and curvatures, both clockwise and anti-clockwise.
3. Draw them at various pace - fast, slow, fast to slow in a single line, etc.
This practice of initially drawing the lines fast and then slowing down will help your body get into smoother drawing action for the workouts and perspective exercises ahead.
<Warm up Ends>
1. Aim: Drawing curvature variations accurately
• Free flow of lines is of utmost importance. Maintain uniformity of size, thickness and pressure.
• Do NOT use grids.
• Do NOT mark points use any reference lines, unless specifically mentioned.
• Do NOT lift your pen while drawing.
• Do NOT use erasers.
1. Task-1: Similar sized curvatures: Observe how a learner draws similar sized circles in the video 12.1 below, and complete for the radii defined in the workout test sheet-1 that follows.
Video 12.1: Circles of similar size drawn anti-clockwise
Image 12.1: Workout Test Sheet-1
2. Task-2: Uniformly increasing/decreasing curvatures:
• starting with R= 2cm, and 1cm successive increment, draw increasing, then decreasing series of circles as shown in (vii) below, such that a line joining the centers of each successive circle is a horizontal line (shown as red dotted line in image 12.2)
• starting with R= 2cm, and 2cm successive increment, draw (vii) such that a tangent drawn connecting the topmost point of each successive circle gives a horizontal line (shown as red dotted line in image 12.2)
Image 12.2: Workout Test Sheet-2
3. Task-3: Curvatures along a path: Use similar curvatures to accomplish these 'paths' on a sheet. Do NOT draw any guideline path beforehand for this exercise. Take radii of your choice.
Image 12.3: Workout Test Sheet-3
4. Task-4: Patterns with curvatures: Draw the following patterns on a sheet as per the following:
• begin with R= 2cm, maintain 2cm offset for successive sectors for (xiii)
• begin with R= 10cm, and draw (xiv) with a single continuous line, maintaining offset of 1 cm
• use R= 3cm and draw alternating quarter circles, to resembling a sinuous curve for (xv). Repeat for R=4cm, 5cm, etc.
REFRESH THIS SHEET
Image 12.4: Workout Test Sheet-4
Once you complete all sheets, grade yourself on each sheet. (Self-grading reference: 10 - excellent, 9 or 8 - good, 7 or 6 - fair, 5 - just acceptable, 4 and below - dissatisfactory).
<Workout Test Ends>
Sense of Perspective Space: Test
1. Aim: Drawing a Cross-Plan Composite Object
(Object is oriented at (i) 45 deg and
(ii) 30-60 deg to Picture Plane)
2. Set up: Do the following exercise on tracing sheets. Ensure that you are using correctly printed base cube underlays for doing the exercise. Refer to the downloaded comarison sheets ONLY after you are done with the exercise.
3. Exercise: Provided below is the Plan and Side Elevation of a Cross-Plan Composite Object [Download...D12_Composite-Object-2_Exercise]. Begin by tracing over the 10cm base cubes provided earlier on Day-4 of Session-1 (or download them again here from the link provided below) and draw 3D views for:
(a) Object oriented at 45 degrees. [Download...D4_45-deg-10cm-Cube].
(b) Object oriented at 30-60 degrees. [Download...D4_30-60-deg-10cm-Cube].
Image 12.5: Cross-Plan Composite Object Worksheet
4. Review: Once done, superimpose the tracing paper you drew on over correctly printed solution sheets and review your drawings. [Download..D12_Composite-Object-2-at-45-deg_Solution][D12_Composite-Object-2-at-45-deg_Solution]. Give yourself marks out of 10, as per your assessment. (Self-grading reference: 10 - excellent, 9 or 8 - good, 7 or 6 - fair, 5 - just acceptable, 4 and below - dissatisfactory).
Points to check:
Is the 'c' cut correct - does it intersect at right points?
Are the vertical and horizontal lines actually vertical or horizontal?
are the ellipses correct?
Have you represented all hidden lines correctly? (as dotted lines)?
for 45 degrees, is the sketch symmetrical?
solution video: it is easier if u draw an ellipse and use its axis to locate top square - divide the top surface subdividing the axis of the ellipse - see feedback sheet
< Sense of Perspective Space and Day 12 End >
<< End of SESSION 3: Curvatures + Vertical Cylindrical Objects in 2pt. Pers. >>
Day 13 Preview
Tomorrow, under Warm up, we quickly revise all that we did in the Workouts in Sessions 1-3.
Under Workouts, we introduce the use of a 'shroud' during practice.
For Sense of Perspective Space, we learn how to draw a horizontal cylindrical object of varying radii, and sketch a telescope for this exercise.
Downloads for Day 13: See PRINTING INSTRUCTION first.
2. D9_Grid-reference-sheet-for-session-3-4-5 (Optional if preserved from Day 9)